Sunday, August 15, 2010

Promises, Promises

Earlier this morning I was outside watching the chickens as they had some free range time.  All of a sudden Ross came tearing out of the house with the phone in his hand to tell me that our neighbor had called and the black bear had been in his back yard again; I guess he has a thing for his bird feeder.  Our neighbor, upset with the bear for beating on the feeder, yelled at him from his back door.  I guess he hurt the bear's feelings because the scolding made it go and climb up a tree (the bear climbed up an oak and was actually trying to get apples from the tree right next to it).  By the time I got there the bear was quite hidden in the tree.  I could barely see the thing for all the leaves, but I could hear him as he rustled and broke the tree's branches.  I thought he might fall, but he ended up climbing down.  He then headed into the apple orchard on the neighboring property (two houses away from ours).  We followed him from the other side of the stone wall keeping our distance, taking pictures as we could, and trying not to be noticed.  The bear ended up climbing another tree for apples and after a bit headed off behind the house where we lost track of him.  The experience was quite nerve-wracking to say the least.  There was always a little voice in the back of my head saying what will you do if the thing turns and starts running towards you.  What one will do for a photo-op!

I see you.
About the same time as the bear headed off a pickup truck pulled into the driveway of this property.  The couple inside had come to pick plums from the owner's orchard.  My neighbor went over to tell them to be careful because of the circumstances.  The man behind the wheel said that there was no reason to worry and that a bear won't bother you if you don't bother it.  I thought to myself what a nice promise to make; it's definitely one no man can keep, but nice none the less.  I guess he was right this time though because I never saw or heard an ambulance come.

No comments:

Post a Comment