Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Garden Variety

So we are hitting that point with our garden where everything is starting to ripen at once.  Ross goes out daily to pick tomatoes.  So far he has made a batch of his wonderful tomato sauce and some ketchup which is a first for him.  I am so thrilled about the ketchup.  Earlier this summer we were having some burgers for lunch and I happened to pick up the ketchup bottle and looked at the ingredients.  For the most part it was what I had expected, but there was one thing on there that I did not expect or like.  I would say more, but I won't here, given the fact that it is a big industry doing a lot of spin marketing lately.  All I need is a libel suit filed against me.  All said, I can't wait to crack open a jar of Ross' homemade garden tomato ketchup.

Ross also has made a couple of batches of pickles.  He prefers bread and butter pickles; I like dill so he makes a batch specifically for me.  He really is quite industrious.  So now we have ketchup and pickles.  I keep joking that he needs to make some mustard.  Of course now that we have farm fresh eggs, I bet he could whip up some great mayo (to make mayo you need your eggs at room temperature which is easy to do when you get fresh ones every day).  Now I'm getting hungry for a burger!  Oh well.  On a side note, I hope you like the labels on the lids.  I did this once before for Ross several years ago when he gave away his preserves as Christmas presents.  I thought 2010 was a good time to revive the practice.

No comments:

Post a Comment