Sunday, August 8, 2010

Chicken Run. Try Chicken Fly.

So last week we got the poles for the chicken run in place.  It was nice to go out out every night after work and see our little, poultry Stonehenge.  What made it extra special was the subtle reminder it gave of all the work that was necessary for the run to get completed.  The plan was to build three walls with a door.  After thinking this through a bit more I realized that it would be nothing for a fox or coyote to jump on the roof of the coop and just hop in the run so a fourth wall on the coop side became necessary.  There was no plan for a roof.  I should state that again-no plan for a roof.  I really did not think that a roof was necessary.  Really, six foot high walls should keep everything out.  Right?

So I was up working on the coop side wall, and Ross was over with the chickens while they were taking their nap/dirt bath (I think they do this about midday every day).  The next thing I know Ross is swinging the get'n stick (a hiking stick that we use to herd the chickens) in the air and ranting.  I see two hawks move out of a dive straight toward the chickens for fear of being hit by the crazy man and his stick.  They ended up roosting in a nearby tree.  Ross did not take his eye off them. Talk about the evil eye!  So this little escapade gave me a quick, second thought about the roof.  I looked at the area, saw the trees overhead, and then thought there is no way a hawk will get them in here.  Back to work I went.

The next thing I know the beautiful, sunny weather turns overcast an muggy.  And this happened just in time for me to start digging the first of three ditches needed to bury some of the chicken wire in hopes of keeping the wild things from digging under the fence.  It was sweaty work.  Ross finally was able to corral the chickens back into the coop and came to my rescue.  Together we worked on the remaining ditches and got the chicken wire in place all the time being serenaded by the clucks and squawks of our little hens.  They were not happy about being cooped up; I now know where that colloquialism came from.  After we got the wire in place (no door yet as I still have to build it) Ross started cleaning up the tools and I decided to let the little girls try out their new yard.  They were not happy to say the least.  Ever since we first took them out they have been free range birds.  These girls did not like the idea of a fence.  They went from wall to wall looking for an escape as I sat in the doorway blocking the only route out.  Blackie, our Black Australorps, tried to fly right over my head, but I caught her.  She was not happy about that!  And then, Curley (so named for her funny, curly tail feathers), took flight right to the top of the beam over the door space.  I could only laugh.  I have spent so much time wondering if the walls were tall enough to keep all the critters out and if the trees would keep the hawks at bay that I neglected to think if they were tall enough to keep my little cluckers in!  Guess not.  So, now on next weeks agenda is a roof.

By the way, our other two remaining hens are named Flopsie and Maddie;  Flopsie got her name because her comb flops over to one side and Maddie got hers from Ross as an homage to my niece-our Golden Comets' ginger feathers are a close resemblance to my niece's hair.  During a conversation with my sister, post informing them of our hen's name, she told me that my nephew wanted to know why we didn't name one of the chicken's after him.  My reply, "We don't have a rooster!"  Situation averted...

On another side note, the whole time I have been writing this Ross has been in the kitchen canning green beans.  The boy just doesn't stop.  I think I got him riled up by mentioning that this year they are having a canning contest at the Bethlehem County Fair.  Maybe Ross will be the blue ribbon winner!

No comments:

Post a Comment