Monday, September 5, 2011

It's Labor Day!

It's Labor Day!  Time to sit back and relax just like Max here to the left. Not in our household; it's called Labor Day so you'd better get to work.  It seems that I always have something else to complete, and every time I look at my list it just gets longer.  Ross had started a list for me that had eight items on it. I've completed three and then added sixteen mores tasks.  Some of these are simple-such as vacuuming all the cobwebs from the basement rafters-while some are a bit more complicated-like adding a second sump pump to the basement.

Before
The most recent cross off on my honey do list was replacing the basement windows.  I'm big on doing lots of research before starting a project, and I did not find as much info as I would have hoped.  Ross and I have installed regular windows before but the basement windows do not get nailed into studs so I was a bit perplexed.  Oh well, if you're not quite sure what you're doing just keep going forward and you'll get somewhere (seems to me that this is a man trait-no honey I don't need to stop and get directions cause I know it's around here somewhere).

After
I have now replaced four of the five basement windows.  The fifth window was knocked out by the previous owner and a sheet of plywood was set in its place.  They placed a dryer vent through this and there it has set since (no paint, no sealant, just a sheet of thin plywood exposed to the elements).  We decided to replace that window with glass block and found a nifty glass block dryer vent that will be installed as part of the window.  I have everything on order for that installation; looks like I get to learn something new!  I have to admit that the new windows do wonders for the light and the general atmosphere of the area. Ross was correct to add this to my honey do list!

On another note, we were walking Max down the street the other day, and I noticed a strange (for here) but familiar looking nut on the ground. Lo and behold, it was a buckeye.  I guess Ross and I aren't the only transplants to the hill as the buckeye tree is not native to Connecticut.  I would think that this was some lost souvenir except that is was still in its outer casing when I picked it up. Looks like we have a tree to hunt down-now let's just add that to my list!





No comments:

Post a Comment