Tuesday, May 1, 2012

Messes and Memories

On Sunday, Ross and I had some friends over for dinner.  It was the culmination of a heavily loaded weekend, and it was much needed.

When I was in eighth grade my mother and I visited Washington D.C.  As part of our sight seeing, we went to Mount Vernon-home of George and Martha Washington.  I don't remember much about the tour, but I do remember the guide mentioning, I believe, Martha Washington's diary.  In it she had chronicled the day to day visitors to their home.  The reason why this stuck with me is that there was an entry in the diary that mentioned they had no visitors on a particular day.  It was the first day in many years that that had happened!  Oh, to be so loved...

This memory came back to me as I stood there looking at the aftermath of our dinner.  I had had such a delightful evening, and the conversation was so buoyant and easy.  The food was tasty-Ross had made the Lebanese food of his childhood.  Overall, it was just one of those great moments that you wish could go on and on.  As I looked at the mess, I mused that there had to be some correlation between how great the dinner party was in comparison to the disarray that was left when it was over. As I started to wash the dishes I thought back to our conversation with a smile on my face.  I don't know if Martha Washington ever chronicled those many delightful conversations she had, but I thought I just might this one time...

Here's just a snippet of where our conversation rambled:

-Ross' Grandmother and food.
-the personification of animals.
-do people today live in reality?
-the life of a milk cow in Litchfield, CT.
-reference to the book Everybody Poops.
-Baba Yaga (Google it).
-things that make Target sales associates go hmmmm.
-table runners vs. drapes. vs. tea towels.
-Polecats.  Stinky Polecats...
-the whispered utterance of the question, "may I please see the knives?"
-peeing outdoors.
-and finally, the story about cat milk and milking a cat (which continues to bring laughter  and tears of joy to the eyes).

It was a great evening!


No comments:

Post a Comment