Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Hide and Seek

Let me start by saying that I'm a fairly regimented person.  Everything I have has a place, and I 99.999% of the time put my things back in their places.  When I come home for the day, I put my keys on the key holder, hang up my hat on the coat closet door hook, hang up my coat, go to my room and place my wallet and my glasses in the tray on my dresser.  It reminds me a lot of my father and how he, as a police officer, came home and followed his own regimen that included making sure his firearm was unloaded before putting it away.

I'm the same way in the house.  I can tell if Ross has dusted as everything is just slightly askew.  I go around and put things back into the fictional order that I have created in my head.  I have accepted that this mental order is not necessary, nor is it a sticking point in our relationship-it is merely the craziness in my head manifesting itself in my physical world.  Ross on the other hand lives by a different order-one that sometimes makes my head spin.  If I asked him where his wallet was he would say probably on his dresser (it is on the coffee table).  If I asked him where his keys were he'd say on the key ring (and he'd be correct), and like yesterday, if I asked him where the other cordless phone was, he'd say "I know it's here somewhere..."

We were going to run some errands yesterday, and I needed to call someone to make sure they were home.   Our cordless phone system came with two phones.  The unusual thing is that each phone maintains its own telephone directory.  This means that some numbers are stored in one phone and some in the other.  I needed a number in the missing phone.  I looked and looked for it and then asked if Ross knew where it was.  "It's here somewhere."  He began to look, but we needed to head out.  Once we got back, we started to search again.  We looked all around the house, and it was nowhere to be found.  We looked outside in case it got left at the chicken coop or fell on the ground-no luck.  I was getting a bit worried as it is raining today and did not want the phone to get ruined.  Ross had the brilliant idea to call it.  We found it in his baking goods cupboard.  Double click the picture above and take a moment to look for the phone.

Keep looking...

Keep looking...

Did you find it there on the third shelf next to the baking cocoa?  I had to measure the height of this.  It was six feet four inches off the floor.  I am 5'8" and Ross is 5'9" so this is above both our eye levels.  When I finally found the phone all I could do was laugh, and the look on his face was priceless.  Ross had to have moved the phone there as he was putting away baking supplies-flour here, sugar there, nutmeg over here, and telephone right up here.  He cracks me up.

1 comment:

  1. I am much like Ross in that way. The last time I couldn't find my cell phone, it was in the fridge next to the milk I had out making frosting with. BTW, I found it (your phone) in 8 seconds, and without cheating. Mine on the other hand took almost a day. Calling my cell didn't help since it was on vibrate. I wish I could have seen the look on both of your faces.
    Helen

    ReplyDelete