Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Take That 2006!

What a day.  We had a Nor'easter that dumped a ton of snow on us overnight and through the morning. The previous single snow record at Bradley International Airport was 21.9 inches set in February 2006. That record was beat today.  The last I had heard there was 22.5 inches of snow, and it was still snowing.  I think it is safe to say that we got between 22 and 24 inches at the house.  I doesn't really seem like a lot when you hear the numbers, but when you're standing in it you know it's a lot.  The picture to the right was taken around 7:00 AM.  You can tell how dense the snowfall was.  I trekked out to the street because I could not tell from the house whether the street had been plowed; visibility was that poor.  The plows were running, but they were not able to keep up with the amount of snow falling.

It took Ross and I about three hours to "clean up" after the storm.  We got out the roof rake and cleared several feet of snow off the edge of the roof to help prevent an ice dam from forming.  I like the look of icicles, but I am not that keen on the possible water damage caused by the ice dam that formed them.  As you can see in the picture to the left the snow drifts were to the top of my legs as I moved around the house.  Next we got out the snow blower and cleared the driveway.  I don't know what we would have done without the snow blower; it is worth every penny we sent on it!  We also had to dig out our cars as the chickens are still in the garage.  Finally we cleared paths to the front and back doors.  All I can say is that I was happy to be done.  Now if I could only get the weather guys to stop talking about the next storm expected this coming Tuesday!

No comments:

Post a Comment