Wednesday, September 29, 2010

Weekend Visitors

Sorry for the delay in recapping the weekend, but I've been a busy beaver.  Ross' father came to visit this past weekend and brought his girlfriend.  This was the first time we have met her, and she was a delight.

We had a wonderful weekend.  It was a bit of a whirlwind with visits here and there.  They arrived Thursday evening, and Ross had spent the day preparing.  He'd made a Lebanese meal like his grandmother (his father's mother) used to make.  Ross also tricked me; he knows that I've had some bad experiences with lamb in the past.  He gave me a taste test off the grill of what I thought was beef.  It was mighty tasty.  I guess I'll have to rethink my position on lamb.  We relaxed that evening so that they could recharge their batteries after driving all day.

We started Friday with a hearty breakfast at Patty's-a local breakfast/lunch diner in Litchfield.  I tried to warn everyone that the pancakes were huge.  I'm not sure if they thought I was exaggerating, but I was proven correct upon delivery of our order!  After that we did some shopping/sight-seeing on the Litchfield town green where I picked up some adorable new place mats and matching napkins for our dining room table.  After that we checked out some sites on a bit of a car tour and ended the tour with a walk through an old cemetery in Washington.   After getting a bite to eat we headed up to Averill Farm to get some apple cider donuts (oh so good) for Saturday breakfast, and then we took another car ride around scenic Lake Waramaug.  For our final stop we went to Guy Wolff's pottery shop.  Everyone who knows me knows that I have an addiction to his handmade flower pots and other accoutrements.  A visit to Guy's is always enjoyable and this visit proved to be the same.  Afterwards, we headed home for some r&r before Ross stuffed us with his chicken enchiladas.

Saturday began with breakfast at the house (those Averill donuts were so good).  We headed to Kent next (with a stop at Guy Wolff's again-I'm not the only person with an addiction to his wares it seems) and went to Bull's Bridge which is one of three covered bridges left in Connecticut.  It is such a scenic place, and watching Ross' father act like a little boy climbing over all the rocks was quite amusing.  Our next stop was to Belgique which is a local chocolateur (another oh so yummy treat).  We spent some time window shopping again down Kent's main drag and then headed back towards home.  On our way back we stopped at Angevine Farm to pick pumpkins, and we got to take a hayride around the farm.  We loaded the car with our pumpkins and headed back home where Ross stuffed us, once again, with barbecue ribs.  I think I'm still recovering from all the food.

Our guests left after breakfast Sunday morning.  In between all the running around we had a lot of great conversations.  It was a pleasure to catch up and to get to know Ross' father's girlfriend.  The two seem very happy together.  We had such a great time visiting and were sorry to see them go, although I was able use the free time to repot our aloe plant into my new Guy Wolff pot!

No comments:

Post a Comment