Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Goodbye Dear Scar

Alas, we have lost another chicken to the ravages of a wild creature. This time Ross was able to recover the body, which we buried after I got home from work. I am quite sad because she was the only Golden Comet that I was able to discern from the flock. We named her Scar because when we got her as a chick she had an area on her head where there was no fuzz. As her feathers grew in the spot remained bare but took on the same red as her comb. The feathers around the spot had a callick effect (as you can see in the picture). She was a good little girl who thought of Ross as the mama hen. She followed him around and would let him easily pick her up. He also fed her blackberries which she greedily pecked up. I am really sad to lose her so soon. This has been a hard week emotionally. A special thanks goes out to Ross' sister-in-law Teri for another great picture.

1 comment:

  1. I think Scar happened to be Blaine's favorite chicken, too. I'm sorry you have lost two of your flock in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete