Thursday, May 17, 2012

The Roar of the Crowd (Of Bees) Part 2

We lucked out as the swarm of bees decided to move into our empty hive! We went out to run some errands.  When we got back, the cluster was gone, and the bees were swarming around the empty hive body.  We were lucky we got back when we did because all the action was over within a half hour.

The best part was getting to see the bees scent-fanning.  There were bees all around the entrance pulsing a scent with their wings that allowed the rest of the bees to know where the entrance to their new home was.  I had read about this but have never seen it.  It was really exciting.   The other best part is that I got video.  I could hear Ross talking to our friend Lizzie (letting her know that the bees took our hive), and he told her exactly how close I was to the hive.  Let's just say that I had bees flying all around me.  The video is below.


No comments:

Post a Comment