Tuesday, March 20, 2012

Happy Summer, ehrr, um, Spring!

Why the confusion you ask? Cause on the first day of Spring I'm wearing shorts and a short sleeved shirt and working up a sweat doing yard work!  Winter was more like Spring this year so it makes perfect sense that Summer should come early.  I was at the hardware store today and they had Pansies out for sale.  I kept telling myself, "it's still March; it's still March; it's still March."  We did receive a nice Spring surprise today-our first Daffodil bloom.  The Crocus are also starting to bloom, and the Hyacinth, Tulips, and Allium are all peeking their heads above the ground.  Hopefully we get some nice Spring rain here soon to water all these young sprouts as we had no real snow melt this year.

There is only bad thing about not having Winter-lots of bugs.  We have already been smacking mosquitos, and the ticks are really bad.  I picked two off my leg just before I came inside, Ross has already removed several from his clothes today, and Max, well, Max is just a walking tick motel. We have to thoroughly check him every time he goes outside. We usually get from two to four ticks off him each time.  I'm thinking of teaching him how to use the toilet, but am worried he might try to flush his brother Bootsy for fun.

My last offering for this first day of Spring, before I head back outside, is a thank you to our friends John and Jane.  They recently gave us a gourd they had grown and dried so that it could be made into a bird house.  I had not ever done something like this before so it was a fun learning process.  I cleaned it the other day, and cut the holes and painted it today-Sunburst Yellow.  I can't wait to see what takes residence in it! There were a bunch of seeds in it.  I'm hoping that we may grow some gourds of our own this year so I might be able to return the gift!

No comments:

Post a Comment